Wednesday 22 February 2017

Hazel catkins


I took the macro lens out for a walk this morning.


I wanted to catch the beautiful yellow catkins that are saying 'spring is coming!'. 


Now as you know, I am someone who notices the tiny details


but I had never noticed the teeny weeny bright pink flowers growing out of the end of the buds before.


Once I had noticed one I saw that they were everywhere. They look like sea anemones.


I have learned today that this is a hazel tree and the yellow catkins are the male flower, heavy with  yellow pollen that's ready to be dispersed on the wind. The tiny pink flowers are the female flower ready to catch the pollen. 


It is here that a cluster of hazelnuts will grow! 


I'll be looking out for them in the Autumn.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...