Thursday 1 October 2015

Inspiration at Kew


Last week I had an inspirational trip to Kew Gardens. 


I've wanted to come for years. I don't know what took me so long!


I loved the old Victorian palm house. Green, humid, dripping and full of the most impressive plants.


It was tricky to take pictures as the camera kept steaming up!



So many good silhouettes.





You can climb the old spiral staircase and see everything from up high. 



It was good to look down on the HUGE leaves.





The waterlily house was beautiful too.


Look at those huge lily pads. 


This is the underside of one.


I took my time strolling around the gardens. 


It was beautiful and peaceful, even in the rain.


Autumn was doing it's thing and there were so many busy squirrels carrying huge sweet chestnuts and acorns in their mouths.



Look at this old thing. A three hundred year old Sweet Chestnut tree. 


It was the inspiration for the creation of the Whomping Willow in the set of Harry Potter. They came and took casts of the tree apparently.





I loved the tree top walk way. 


I loved being up so high and up so close to the huge numbers of Parakeets screeching around the place.


Can you spot him sitting in the tree?


Crows, pigeons, parakeets....


There were lots of these purple flowers..


and I bumped into this Peahen too preening herself on a bench.


Then I walked to the wild edges of the park and started to spot mushrooms under the trees.


Once I'd spotted one, I started seeing them everywhere.





I was just remembering how I saw some birds nest fungi when I was a child - then I spotted this. It was much tinier than I remembered. Anyone know if that's what it is?


Big one, little one...both with nibbles.



I came home with muddy knees, a head full of inspiration and billions of photos on my camera. I loved it. Wish it was closer to home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...