Wednesday 2 March 2016

Wallpaper of the 50's and 60's


We had an inspiring day of colour and pattern on Sunday at the Whitworth Gallery.


They were showing an exhibition of wallpaper from the 50's and 60's.


There were some wild patterns





 and we marvelled at the designs and their print methods (now that we know how its done)


and at how different things look in other colourways.


I wish we could have seen them in repeat across a huge area to get the full effect. 


    

I think the trees were my favourite.


Such good marks.



It was nice to see the old yellowing sample books.




In the next room they had an exhibition of work by textile artist Tibor Reich from the same era. I recognised some of the fabrics form Lesley Jacksons collection up at Elmet Farmhouse. She is a fan.



They showed how he has been directly inspired by nature and his environment. It's always nice to see how designers get to their designs.

The wallpaper exhibition runs until September and Tibor Reich's until August.

3 comments:

Stephanie Gau t said...

I love 50s and 60s pattern design - I collect examples on a Pinterest board. Great photos in this post.

Ashley cramp said...

ooooh I had that blue and purple wallpaper on my wall when I was 5 its obviously influenced my grown up interior deco style too!
thanks for sharing
best Ashley

localappliancerepair said...

I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
วอลเปเปอร์ลายไทย

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...