Tuesday 30 April 2013

Walking...


Yesterday after a day on the computer (making patterns though, it was fun) I saw Brene Brown tweeting about a Ted Talk called 'Got a meeting? Take a walk' and I went to have a listen. Nilofer Merchant tells the story of how she was supposed to be meeting with someone but they couldn't fit her in to their busy schedule so they said 'look I have to walk my dog, shall we talk while we walk?' and this gave her the idea for 'walk meetings'.


Why meet in a stuffy office of a coffee shop? Why not get out in the fresh air and get some exercise  and look after yourself whilst having your'e working. I love that idea. There's nothing like a walk to get the ideas going. 


It made me want to get out immediately and even though I didn't have a meeting as such I took a walk on my own. The leaves were unfurling and the birds were singing and I thought about how much inspiration this simple activity gives to me.  I can pinpoint certain places where inspiration struck, like here on this hillside above the archery fields looking out over Hebden Bridge where I once marvelled at the structure of a dandelion clock and it gave me my the idea for one of my best selling lamp designs. 

Time out walking is never wasted. It's one of my favourite things.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I totally agree - walk meetings are the best. It so happens I have one scheduled for tomorrow! :)

Selina Gough said...

Hear hear! A walk is never wasted time, it often feels like my richest, most satisfying time, whether alone or with the kids. I sometimes wonder whether our family would just be happier living in a tent...

Ruth Singer said...

I do a lot of my best thinking when I am out walking and do plenty of business planning walking with my mum (who is the best free business advisor ever!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...